Thursday, October 2, 2008

In the bleak mid winter

You will say "but it isn't christmas" but well what's a girl to do if a poem comes along? gotta get that poem down.
In the bleak... was written by Christina Georgina Rossetti [1830-94] all the good stuff comes from women, I've retained her 1st and 4th stanzas and part of her 2nd and [hopefully] I will upload C.G.R.s original version beautifully sung by Corrinne May or at the least give the utube link
*
In the bleak mid winter
frosty wind make moan
earth stood hard as iron
water as a stone
snow had fallen, snow on snow
snow on snow
in the bleak mid winter
long, so long ago
*
Lay Him in a manger
though He is Lord of all
poverty will teach Him
to hear us when we call
in the bleak mid winter
a stable place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty
Jesus Christ
*
I never would have Known Him
though He was sent for me
if He had come in splendour
with might and majesty
this is heaven's wonder
that such a One as He
with love so warm and tender
should stoop so low for me
*
Oh what can I give Him
poor as I am
if I were a shepherd
I would bring my lamb
if I were a wise man
I would do my part
but what can I give Him
give to Him my heart.
*
Oh that I could love Him
and show Him all His worth
but I am only human
a child of this earth
when He comes in glory
then my tongue will tell
I will kneel before Him
in the angel swell.
*

No comments: